Saturday, August 13, 2011

What am I supposed to do during fall/winter?

I am trying to think of what I can do in the rain/snow...but I can't think of anything? I am training my 3 year old gelding to become a fancy show hunter, but how can I do that when the footing is horrible? I pasture board in a field, and I take lessons up the road. Walking there takes about 30 minutes. Boarding at the facility is way out of the question- $600/month, plus lessons, farrier, ect and I have got two horses, which would equal it up to about $1500/month! I do not own a horse trailer, and none of my friends do either. Right now I can only ride two days a week (sat+sun) because it gets dark at like 4:30 and my mom gets off work @ 6pm- she works mon-fri. (I have to walk my horses up the road for 30 minutes to get to the barn/arena/instructor). The barn I am riding at leases their ring out for $100/month and you can ride unlimited in it (this is for non boarders). This is what I will be doing in the summer, I will lease it and ride both my horses 5-7days a week, because I will not have to walk in the dark as it will get dark at like 10:30pm! But my question is...how can I ride in the winter? Right now it's not so bad (except my horse is lame)...just a lot of rain and I'm okay to walk in the rain, but what about snow? We get like 3ft of snow at one time...? How can I prepare my horses for show season in that? lol. I was hoping to really get my gelding going for next year so I can show him in the local hack cles. I also would like to do the winter show in febuary. What would you do in my situation? I want to improve my young horse, and myself but...? what do you guys do in the winter? Would you guys trudge through 3ft of snow for 45minutes to get to a riding arena?? thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment